Sunday, September 23, 2012

A Note Regarding Favorite Flavors

While it is safe to say that chocolate (unless you are Eric), vanilla, mint, coffee, and peanut butter probably top the list of America’s favorite flavors, the same list does not apply to China. I spent the first few weeks here searching out a plain dark chocolate bar, only to be disappointed. Chocolate is not that common. When I wanted something that tasted like home I reached for what I thought was a package of mint Oreos, only to be told that anytime I think something is mint that I should just assume it is actually green tea flavored.  The filling for most desserts and ice cream bars is not chocolate or peanut butter, but red bean, a decided favorite favor in our new home. The cultural favorites here are certainly different. Green tea, red bean, milk, and green pea flavors dominate most snacks and desserts. I have seen cucumber flavored potato chips, red pepper flavored snack bars, and chocolate ice cream bars filled with milk, red bean, and green pea custards. I am currently chewing lemongrass gum (it came in a combo pack with cucumber and lavender.) This will take some getting used to.

2 comments:

  1. I will be sending you a few things in the next week or so. So you can look forward to a few chocolates thrown in too. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! Thanks Mom! You are the best!

    ReplyDelete